The Fire Chief performs professional, supervisory and administrative work in the planning, organizing, and direction of all programs and operations associated with fire protection and EMS provided by the department. The Fire Chief is responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of the fire department.
Under the direction of the Board of Directors, provides leadership and management of the South Metro Fire Department directly and indirectly through lower-level managers and supervisors. Responsibilities include fire suppression, emergency medical services, fire inspection, fire investigation, fire prevention, and education, emergency preparedness, fire and EMS training, and general administration.
South Metro’s Fire Chief reports to the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors is made up of two city council members from each of the cities and a fifth public member selected by both of the city councils from outside the service area. The Fire Chief works collaboratively with the city councils and management of both Cities. The Fire Chief’s role is to achieve consensus among the governing bodies as he/she leads and manages the department. Additionally, this role is responsible for the budgeting, purchasing and grants management, and therefore, strong fiscal skills are imperative for success in this position.
Minimum qualifications include:
- An Associate’s Degree in Fire Science and completion of Firefighter I and II or a Bachelor’s Degree in Fire Science or Administration or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Ten years of experience as a firefighter in a fire department.
- Five years of experience in a Command Level or formal supervisory level position or equivalent experience.
- Ability to be MNFF licensed within 6 months of hire date and have completed HazMat training.
- Incident Management training.
- Must possess and maintain a valid MN Class D driver’s license or an equivalent out-of-state driver’s license.
Desired qualifications include:
- A Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration or a related field.
- Management experience including experience in fiscal or budget operations, contract negotiations and grievance handling.
- National Fire Academy Executive Officer Program, Emergency Preparedness and other relevant education and training.
- Current EMT certification.
The application package may be downloaded at the links below. Please be sure to download each of the four documents.
Fire Chief Search and Community Profile
South Metro Application
Applications and information may also be obtained from and returned to:
South Metro Fire Administration
Attention: Fire Marshal Linda McMillan
1650 Humboldt Ave.
West St. Paul, MN 55118
Complete employment application packages must be received at the above address no later than 4:00 p.m., Friday, January 25, 2013.
South Metro Fire does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or the provision of services. EOE/AA
Posted: December 31, 2012